NIGHTLIGHT is currently OPEN to submissions.
We are NOT currently open for flash fiction.
We are open for submissions February – June, and from August – October.
Are you Black? It doesn’t matter what part of the world you’re from, or where you are now–as long as you’re Black and you write horror, you are welcome to submit!
Here’s what you need to know:
- At least one of your birth parents must be Black.
- Story submissions should be between 3,000 and 6,000 words.
- Please send only one submission to us at a time. Multiple submissions will be automatically rejected.
- Simultaneous submissions (sending the same story to multiple publications) are okay, but please let us know if you sell your story elsewhere ASAP.
- We typically respond within 4-6 weeks.
- We pay for exclusive audio (first world) and electronic publishing rights for 6 months after the air date.
- We only accept reprints that have not been published in audio format previously. Just let us know your story has appeared elsewhere and where so we can credit properly.
- All submissions should be in classic manuscript format (double-spaced, monospace font). Your physical address is not required.
- We do not accept poetry, non-horror fiction, or non-fiction.
- Submissions that don’t meet our requirements will be automatically rejected with no response.
If you have any questions, hit us up on Twitter @nightlightpod.
How We Pay
- If we accept your story (over 3,000 words), we’ll pay you $200. We send money via Venmo and the Cash App, but can also do PayPal if you don’t have Venmo or Cash, but you will be responsible for fees, unless you’re outside of the United States.
- Short fiction (1,000-3,000 words) is paid at $75 per story.
- Reprints are paid $50 per story.
- We typically pay you when your story airs.
Want to Perform a Story For Us?
If you want to apply to be a narrator for NIGHTLIGHT, fill out this form. Please let us know if you are a member of another marginalized community (LGBTQIA, Muslim, Disabled, etc) so we can reach out to you for stories which feature characters in your community. Voice actors are paid $1.50 per finished minute of audio.